Community Building Guidelines
The Guidelines that are offered here come directly from the Foundation for Community Encouragement's (FCE) website; they have been used time and again by FCE-trained Facilitators at many different kinds of events around the world. These Guidelines will be reviewed by the Facilitators when we first meet.
Guidelines for Community Building
▪ Wear name tags.
▪ Be on time for each session.
▪ Say your name before you speak.
▪ Speak personally and specifically, using "I" statements.
▪ Be inclusive; avoid exclusivity.
▪ Express displeasure in the group, not outside the circle.
▪ Commit to "hang in there."
▪ Speak when moved to speak; don't speak when not moved to speak.
▪ Be responsible for your success.
▪ Participate verbally or nonverbally.
▪ Be emotionally present with the group.
▪ Respect confidentiality.
What We Can Tell You About the Process
▪ Facilitators are guides only.
▪ There are usually four stages.
▪ Silence will be used now and then.
▪ It is an adventure into the unknown.
▪ It involves discovering what it means to be MOVED to speak.
▪ You are encouraged to experiment, discover, learn.
What We Cannot Tell You About the Process
▪ How to do it
▪ About the unknown
▪ What this community may be
▪ The mystery about how it works
© The Foundation For Community Encouragement